View Single Post
Grimsby Ice Factory - Grimsby - May 2012
(#1)
Old
SNC

Default Grimsby Ice Factory - Grimsby - May 2012 - 19-06-2012, 20:16

Grimsby Ice House - Grimsby - May 2012

Visited with DrHowser

I've posted NP as per the last report and to give others the chance to see whilst it's fairly easy to get in.

We'd planned to hit this for a while, after seeing many excellent reports and tales of its delicious derelict wonders, we headed on down. I'm surprised this place isn't reported on more, granted, access is tricky being slap bang in the middle of a live port, but it's an excellent and truly unique site.

It's also in a perilous state, many floors are rotten, the pigeons have had their way with the place and there are some seriously concerning drops, so if you go, keep your eyes on your toes. I also forgot an external shot, noob, the smell of smoked fish was too much. Regardless, it was good to get back in durrtty industry.

I've pinched this from you Layz, hope you don't mind...

The Ice Factory was built by the Great Grimsby Ice Company Limited and first opened in 1900, extended later in 1908 by consulting engineer W F Cott. The buildings are approximately rectangular on plan, with a passageway cutting diagonally though, which formerly carried a railway. The building is believed to be the earliest remaining ice factory in the UK, and possibly the sole survivor from this period complete with machinery.
The factory originally housed steam powered ammonia compressors, however these were replaced during a modernisation and expansion programme in 1933 when 5 new compressors were built by J&E Hall of Dartford Kent, powered by 5 generators built by Metropolitan-Vickers of Manchester. These five compressors and generators remain in-situ and are both the largest and oldest of their type in the country, running until 1990 when the factory finally closed. The building in now Grade II* listed.

In 2010 a trust was established in order to secure the future of the Grimsby Ice Factory'

Cheers :thumb