NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Industrial Tourism - Scoonthorpe Steelworks Tour 14-11-09
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Industrial Tourism - Scoonthorpe Steelworks Tour 14-11-09
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Arrow ARCHIVE: Industrial Tourism - Scoonthorpe Steelworks Tour 14-11-09 - 16-11-2009, 21:55

If Pyestock, Fletchers, Inverkip etc are industrial p0rn, then this is the entire Jenna Jameson back catalogue. 2000 acres of old fashioned hardcore industrial win. OK, so this was a legit tour, but to be honest, this place is so vast, the best way to see it is to either get a job there or go on a free train ride round the site.

It's hard to put into words this place, even more so when the guy who was doing the talking was stood inside the brake van, and I was stood outside for the entire duration. I can only describe it as the strangest place I've ever been, it's like some kind of sci-fi writers nightmarish vision of a vast mechanical planet, with massive pipes everywhere, steam hissing from hoses, sirens, banging from the rolling mills, and the weird scarred industrial landscape. Awesome.

Our ride for the 4 hours. There are over 70 miles of railway track on site!!!

Engine sheds I presume

'Torpedo' wagons, full of molten iron straight from the blast furnace, ready for the enormous rolling mills across the site.

At speed. Sort of.

Loads more pics, still sorting through them, might post a few more if people are interested?
(#2)
Old
Administrator

Default 17-11-2009, 22:37

More stuff, posted on photobox for those who can't use flickr.

I'm not well up on these things, but I think this is a Class f*ckknowswhat loco

All the gantry conveyors you could ever want

More vast buildings

Not entirely sure what these were.

These rolling mills were absolutely vast, it took 5 minutes for the train to trundle down the track between them.

Cooling Towers

Cooling towers, doing a spot of cooling

More conveyors

Close up of the top of a 'torpedo'.

Finally, there was a rainbow. This made me happy, so I went home
Closed Thread