NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > General > NWEX Special Interest Groups > Bricks, Brickology and Brickophillia
Reload this Page Dalton - The Lathom Brick Road
Bricks, Brickology and Brickophillia A mini site dedicated to the humble brick, by those dedicated enough to collect them!

(#11)
Old
qoolio

Default 14-04-2009, 00:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by detritus21 View Post
Having consulted the West Lancs Council list of Quarries to clarify the official name for the quarry is Dalton Quarry and there is only one true Dalton Quarry and this is the one.

Just quickly part of an ongoing project you have from Billinge working north Billinge Quarry now Landfilled, Pimbo Bush Quarry, Lawns Delph, Ravenhead Quarry, Sandy Brow Quarry opposite St Jo's and anotehr smaller Quarry in the grounds of St Jo's adjacent to Stoney Brow (this is St Jos Stony Brow lesser spotted Quarry), Crisp Delph and another couple of smaller quarries the names of which escape me and 5 quarries along Lees Lane including a sandpit, a sand stone/shale pit, Coal and Fireclay Mine and Quarry, a fireclay quarry and Dalton Quarry. Over towards parbold there are more quarres which I am yet to advance to.

So Dalton Quarry is at the junction of Lees Lane and Hillock Lane in Dalton. I've a picture of the quarry somewhere which I will endevour to post.

re coalboard I'll sort you bricks if you want them.
there are in total 31 quarries in or around st jos... im gobsmacked you didnt see them... they are after all signposted....
(#12)
Old
Romanian1

Default 14-04-2009, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Freaky, me and R1 were in the quarrry Thursday and I was round the back on foot on Friday!
I rang Morrisey last night and he was there with curator of the mining museum, faffing around in the mud (hopefully procuring me a nice blue lathom)
(#13)
Old

Default 14-04-2009, 10:46

Everyone loves a bit of Latham. I'm over there alot in summer as its on some of my regular summer running routes. I don't mind collecting bricks for people if they have a particular one they want gives me an excuse to get out and about.
(#14)
Old
Romanian1

Default 14-04-2009, 10:52

Quote:
Everyone loves a bit of Latham. I'm over there alot in summer as its on some of my regular summer running routes. I don't mind collecting bricks for people if they have a particular one they want gives me an excuse to get out and about.
Anything that looks good in return for access to my maps.
(#15)
Old

Default 14-04-2009, 10:54

Thats ok I think I'll have to start a thread of what bricks I've found on my travels and people can have dibs on them.
(#16)
Old
Romanian1

Default 14-04-2009, 11:00

Quote:
Thats ok I think I'll have to start a thread of what bricks I've found on my travels and people can have dibs on them.
No, we have a special rule over here at NWEX, i get first dibs on everything.
(#17)
Old
Administrator

Default 14-04-2009, 12:15

Heres the quarry we had a mooch round last night, found a few blue Lathoms but hid em all.
How much R1 for the locations.

Morrisey fossiling

(#18)
Old
Romanian1

Default 14-04-2009, 12:19

The stone they quarry there is unbelievable, shatters into thousands of pieces if you give it a whack, of course i had Gibbo with me so he did nothing else.
(#19)
Old

Default 14-04-2009, 12:36

Dalton Quarry is Clay and Shale. It was supplying shale to Ravenhead brickworks in Skem/Pimbo but the brickworks has been mothballed IIRC. Its a fair sized quarry that one. What amazes me is the change in type of quarry over a stretch of road only a couple of miles long. You;ve got Clay, Shale, Sandstone, Flagstone, Sand, Fire Clay, Coal, if you go up the hill to Ashurst Beacon then you've got Marl/mudstone and the other way to Parbold you've got Gritstone. Boboil your pics of the quarry are better than mine.
(#20)
Old
Just say NO

Default 14-04-2009, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanian1 View Post
The stone they quarry there is unbelievable, shatters into thousands of pieces if you give it a whack, of course i had Gibbo with me so he did nothing else.
Had to keep in practise for smashing up those rare housebricks!

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010