NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > High Places
Reload this Page Rivington pike. feb 2010
High Places Cranes, Rooftops, Chimneys, Towers, Masts, Silos etc.

(#51)
Old

Default 12-01-2011, 15:58

Ah right, on the way to D.Hill. That chippy near there is alright. (on the Lidl side!)

Nope, that's not me, used to be into making websites along time ago before work came along! Too busy for it now. That site looks quality though, well worth a look. Kudos to whoever does supply them pics.

Do you mean the location to the tunnel or the actual chimney? It's the one off Moss Bank park. There isn't a lot of area to look in if we're looking for the entrance, considering it was estimated at 80 metres.
(#52)
Old

Default 12-01-2011, 17:13

Not much to see in "old smokey"
(#53)
Old

Default 05-02-2011, 13:00

I realised how unfit I was when I went to this tower! What a trek! Lots of other hidden treasures around like a tiled floor on wasteland - from when it was rivington gardens.
(#54)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 05-02-2011, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignickb View Post
I realised how unfit I was when I went to this tower! What a trek! Lots of other hidden treasures around like a tiled floor on wasteland - from when it was rivington gardens.

That tiled floor was part of lord leverhulme's house that used to stand there, i think the tiled part was once a corridor.

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#55)
Old

Default 06-02-2011, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah View Post
That tiled floor was part of lord leverhulme's house that used to stand there, i think the tiled part was once a corridor.
Aye from what is known as ' the bungalow '. Crying shame it all got demolished.
(#56)
Old

Default 09-02-2011, 12:06

Blimey - talk about satisfying 30 years of curiosity - I've always wondered what's actually inside the pike. An excellent piece of detective work! I've read elsewhere that it was initially built as a small hunting lodge / folly. The cellar was used to hang game, ground floor as a room to warm up and shelter from the rain and access to the roof which was used as a look out for deer. Looking from the photos though, looks like there's no trace of anything left. I did get up into the pigeon tower about 15 years ago - excellent views from the stairwell and top floor (Lady Lever's sewing room!), there was a very ornately carved stone fire place detailing the invention of the wheel! Unfortunately, this was just before the days of mobile phone cameras so as it was a spur of the moment explore, I've got no photos.
(#57)
Old
Fromt posh part of Bolton

Default 28-02-2011, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Blimey - talk about satisfying 30 years of curiosity - I've always wondered what's actually inside the pike. An excellent piece of detective work! I've read elsewhere that it was initially built as a small hunting lodge / folly. The cellar was used to hang game, ground floor as a room to warm up and shelter from the rain and access to the roof which was used as a look out for deer. Looking from the photos though, looks like there's no trace of anything left. I did get up into the pigeon tower about 15 years ago - excellent views from the stairwell and top floor (Lady Lever's sewing room!), there was a very ornately carved stone fire place detailing the invention of the wheel! Unfortunately, this was just before the days of mobile phone cameras so as it was a spur of the moment explore, I've got no photos.
Had a trip to the library tonight - a book lists the cellar inside the pike as 5' deep x 3' square - under a 3" slab resting on stone buttrusses. Wonder whats inside?????????????????????????????? GOLD!!!!!!!!!!

It's Dark and Hell is Hot........
(#58)
Old

Default 09-03-2011, 10:54

I have got some extended newspaper clippings regarding the Pike pre-1900 that I shall upload.

Here's a snippet about past-dereliction of the tower...

From the Evening News April 23 1978

Quote:
RIVINGTON Pike Tower the Bolton area's most famous landmark is in danger of collapsing. It has been given only 10 years' grace by a top conservationist. Mr John Hough conservation director in the Rivington area said urgent action is needed to stop the erosion of soil around its foundations. The ground on top of the Pike was being washed away at the rate of four inches a year. He blamed motor-cycles for the bulk of the damage but said the popularity of the Pike among walkers was also taking its toll.

It never had existed.
(#59)
Old

Default 19-06-2011, 11:37

Not got anything new to post up so here is a few shots of our trip June 2011. Big thanks to Buddha and the others for all the help and patience getting me back onto the ropes

Check out the rusted iron work!

When I looked closer I could see the hermit that lives in there, I think he has been trapped there for a while living on litter and very out of date Stella.

A couple of shots of the view, would have been better if it wasn't trying to rain all the time.

All my other shots have people in them, didn't want to post them up without permission.
(#60)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 19-06-2011, 18:28

The Village idiot, SnakeOil, Kenni, Blino, Me

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast