NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page WT Knowles & Sons Ltd Clay Pipe & Chimney pot manufacturers - ARCHIVE
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Closed Thread

WT Knowles & Sons Ltd Clay Pipe & Chimney pot manufacturers - ARCHIVE
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Default WT Knowles & Sons Ltd Clay Pipe & Chimney pot manufacturers - ARCHIVE - 16-04-2009, 19:41

If the admin feel that this ain't suitable then please remove.

The company was founded in 1906 by Walter Thomas Knowles, becoming a limited company in 1926. Walter's sons joined the business in the 1920's and in the 1950's they took the reins. About this time, the third generation joined the company and they took control in the 1970's. Now the company is run by the fourth generation.
During World War 2, W T Knowles & Sons Ltd won many contracts with the MOD for draining airfields. Shortly after the war there were around eighty individual clay pipe manufacturers, today there are only three.
The company still has six down draught beehive kilns which produce both glazed and unglazed goods and employs a workforce of around 50 people. Many of the traditional moulding techniques are still being used today.
Firstly this is a working family business. I had driven past the place a while back and instantly thought it was derelict, it was certainly an alluring site that I needed to see. I contacted the company and asked if it would be possible to have a look around and if I could photograph and document the work place, 4 weeks later I get an email saying that I could and that day was today.
The photos do not do this place justice, it is like going back in time and the place is an industrial museum with the antiquated machinery being operated by true craftsman. My guide for the afternoon was “Keith” and a proper gent he was too, he took me through the whole process from start to finish and spoke about his 30 years with Wt Knowles with a burning passion.
The future? Well this place will continue to produce quality products until the good old “Health & Safety” finally get there way and close the place down.

The start of the process

The Crusher, really suprised me at what muck constitutes clay!

Good owd keith at the grinder

Dave making a chimney pot

£1500 a piece

Beehive kiln with the finished product still cooling down.

There are four gas fired kilns and two coal fired, to fire one kiln of products the gas bill is £16,000 or 20 tonne of coal!!

Inside the kiln looking upto the roof.

Egregious!

Last edited by Morrisey; 16-04-2009 at 21:03.
Closed Thread