NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Hartford Mill Engine House, Oldham - April 2010
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Hartford Mill Engine House, Oldham - April 2010
(#1)
Old
admin

Arrow ARCHIVE: Hartford Mill Engine House, Oldham - April 2010 - 17-04-2010, 00:10

Hartford Mill, Engine House - Visited by Ojay (oh and O'Ham Council & Landlords mafia tagging along).

After a number of visits (Original Thread Here) over the years I HAD to go back and see the 'Engine House' as everytime, I missed the rope-race and the lovely Victorian tiles and everything good about this part of the Mill.

Built 1907 by the Hartford Mill (Oldham) Co Ltd. The Architect was F W Dixon, there were 120,000 spindles and power was provided by a very impressive 1500 hp Urmson & Thompson engine which was situated in this very room.

Even Bungle himself has offered to show me, but we never managed to meet up (YET)

The 'splore was doomed from the start and was overall comedy as I faced a representative from the lovely council on the way in. He was a nice guy and spent about 10 minutes discussing the place, before he had to leave.

"I'm here because kids have been in throwing bricks at nearby houses, and just checking to see how they have 'Got In' so as it can be sealed"

It's a fair point so after he went, I too walked away as if to leave...Yeah Rite.

After 15 minutes the coast was clear and off I went back to find the access point I have used on so many occasions. (Sealed FOOK).

Am I ever going to see this bloody engine house? I literally walked all around the perimeter of the building to find a way back in, NO CHANCE, it's sealed tight, unless you own a chopper. Then I could see a way in, the 'kids' had helped me find a way in, YES, YES this is it, as I could see the green tiles and smell the industrials.

Inside is fairly trashed and rotten to the core, It was like treading on eggshells as I stepped lightly across rotting wooden beams and gaping holes to find a suitable spot for the tripod.

If you haven't seen this, your missing out, I personally think it's the best feature of any Mill I have seen so far.

After taking a number of shots I decided to head across to the rope-race for a further mooch and more photo's. (NOT).

Suddenly I could hear voices and incredibly the sound of a drill followed by banging WTF?

It soon became apparent that I was being sealed in, probably based on the nice man from the councils findings earlier.

I had no option but to make myself heard and get the f**K out. The 3 guys representing the owner weren't very happy about me being in there either.

Especially the little s**t who thought he was being clever (you know who you are).

Quote: "What you taking pictures of it's a mill?" - What a total ignoramus you are, it's probably the best example of Victorian architecture you will see still in existence in any mill in the country...

Anyway thanks for looking, it was certainly worth it

Rope Race

Engine House

....Take pictures and leave ONLY

Last edited by Ojay; 17-04-2010 at 00:14.
Closed Thread