NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Hartford Mill, Werneth, Oldham - July 09
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Hartford Mill, Werneth, Oldham - July 09
(#1)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Arrow ARCHIVE: Hartford Mill, Werneth, Oldham - July 09 - 12-07-2009, 19:07

I had headed to Chadderton with a bug in my head about the swimming baths having closed. I recall a report from there sometime ago on 28DL. It transpired that the pool hall is part of the still very open leisure centre and having received the “you’ll have to speak to the manager and she’s not here today” answer on seeking legitimate access, there was little chance of a sneaky live explore.

Not to be upset about having travelled, I decided that there must be a mill or two around these parts ready for a Sunday afternoon visit. I simply love the scale of the mills in Oldham, the way in which they come into view and then disappear again as you wind around the terraced streets is nothing short of alluring. Following my nose and the captured glimpses of Hartford I made my way closer and became sure of its accessibility simply by virtue of its exterior condition. It is such a shame to see these great structures in decline, equally a good sensation to know it’s a sure fire exploring hit.

Obviously on return I’ve now accessed the archived reports from there and it was no surprise to find that Bungle, amongst others, has been all over it.

Hartford Mill is a Grade II listed building that was built in 1907 by the Hartford Mill Company and designed by F W Dixon. At its peak in 1915, 120,000 Platt’s spindles were powered by a 1500hp Urmson engine. The mill was extended in 1920 and 1924 and eventually closed in 1959. Littlewoods used the mill as a mail order warehouse until 1992. The mill is part of a regeneration area and has been compulsory purchased by the local authority.

Whilst I was searching for some history I came across this link to a transcribed list of engines, it’ well worth a look if you are interested in the actual workings of mills. You may have come across it already; it is a list by Arthur Roberts of Leeds and transcribed by Stanley Challenger Graham. The comments on the forum question its accuracy in parts, but it is nonetheless a good source of information. Also there were notes from George Watkin’s records and a tip for another title by Arnold Throp.

Arthur Roberts: HARTFORD MILL. WERNETH OLDHAM
1800hp twin tandem compound engine by Urmson and Thompson, no date. Two 30"HP (rear), two 60"LP X 5ft stroke. 160psi, 68rpm. 24ft flywheel, 40 ropes. Corliss valves on all cylinders. Air pump driven from each crosshead. No tailrod supports, Whitehead governor.

G Watkins records: Hartford Mill, Werneth, Oldham, Lancs. Cotton Spinning. Hartford was the mill in which Platt Bros of Oldham tried out the various new designs of plant they introduced, and the engine was almost certainly the only twin tandem that Urmson & Thompson constructed. Built in 1907, and named 'Oldham', the Corliss-valve cylinders were 21in and 44in bore by 5ft stroke, and it developed 1,500hp at 65rpm, using steam at 170psi. The drive was by 34 ropes from the 24ft flywheel, but all was scrapped when, in 1957 electric drives were installed. It seems incredible that such an engine was built for £5,400, and its three boilers for £1,900. That, however, was the cost of this very good plant.

Almost the entire mill is now accessible, the engine house and boiler room probably the most interesting and being able to top out always makes for a good explore.

Approach, something else has been demolished in the foreground.

The rigourous functionality of these mills is really starting to hit home now, I can see past the Victorian flourishes, which has been an aesthetic stumbling block for a while.

First floor. At this point I considered the similarity in the qualities of these empty spaces, having been on a bit of a mill binge lately. I tried to call to mind what it would have been like with the intense noise and activity in its heyday.

Looking back from rickety iron staircase into the engine house, the space ascends over four storeys.

Interior shot.

Chimney from inside mill.

Rooftop action. There are lots of shots of the views in Bungle’s reports here.

Engine house. Note the fantastic art-nouveau tiles.

Boilers

Kit in boiler room.

peace
NMB

photos here too
Closed Thread