NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Military Sites
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Anzio Army Camp, Blackshaw Moor, 02/09
Military Sites Bunkers, Pillboxes, Forts, Airfields and all ROC & cold war related stuff goes here.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Anzio Army Camp, Blackshaw Moor, 02/09
(#1)
Old
Mr P.Berman Investigates.

Arrow ARCHIVE: Anzio Army Camp, Blackshaw Moor, 02/09 - 21-02-2009, 18:48

Visited on a few occasions, most recently with Meliorama and Mk2Golfkid. Nice little site especially if u have interest in military, although since my last trip it has deteriorated quite badly so its a ASAP if you planning a trip. If u want any more details just let me know

"In 1943, a transit camp for USA anti-aircraft units was constructed on the East side of the Buxton Road. In 1945-6 it was taken over by Polish troops from Italy (Probably where the 'Anzio' bit came from). After the war, it became a Polish resettlement camp. Then in 1964, the residents were settled in purpose built accomodation half a mile North from the original site. In 1983, the camp opened as the Anzio site and became a training centre for both the Regular and Territorial Army and even scouts."

It closed during 2005-2006 and there are rumours of it being turned into a retirement village, (i believe to date this has now been scrapped)

The Bar

Ammunition Stores

One of the obstacles on the assult course

Rifle Range

Obligatory razor wire shot

Hope u like.
(#2)
Old

Default 21-02-2009, 19:06

Shots turned out really well Lenny!
Not really my kind of place but after an epic kaffufle trying to sort out a trip to Winstanley it was a good plan b nonetheless Here's a few of mine anyways:

There was tonnes left to see here despite its condition which (if like me) you enjoy sifting through old documents and stuff this place is a gold mine. Here's a log book for the assault course.

A couple of the bar. This was the only nice bit about the place really, when I heard there was a bar I thought it'd most likely be a cold generic hovel so it was a nice surprise to come across what felt more like a mountaineer's lodge

What used to be the attic:

Lenny trying to take on the assault course .......he didn't get much further than this

And lastly this weird bath we found which looks like the type you find in care homes for the elderly....couldn't quite figure out how it came into the hands of the military! Lol

There's more on photobucket for any who are interested.
Cheers again for the trip Lenny, will have to meet up for another one soon once your cars fixed!
(#3)
Old

Default 21-02-2009, 19:18

Some great pics there melio, ive uploaded mine a bit small but im not doing them again! Wasn't such a bad day considering my car being held together with 2pence pieces! Youre welcome anytime, hopefully next time we wont be restricted by the most unreliable car on earth!

Last edited by Lennye4evo; 21-02-2009 at 19:21.
(#4)
Old
PRMD

Default 21-02-2009, 20:00

Nice pics, looks like a good day
(#5)
Old

Default 21-02-2009, 20:27

OK really will have to hit this site, Lenny can you email me access info?

Last I checked the planning pemission to turn the site into a care home for the elderley had been turned down a second time, and the hospital trust who want to do it were winding up for a third attempt.

Must hit it and rescue a few items
(#6)
Old

Default 21-02-2009, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
OK really will have to hit this site, Lenny can you email me access info?

Last I checked the planning pemission to turn the site into a care home for the elderley had been turned down a second time, and the hospital trust who want to do it were winding up for a third attempt.

Must hit it and rescue a few items
have u got msn? much quicker
(#7)
Old

Default 21-02-2009, 20:49

am about to shut puter down for major reconstructive surgery thanks to a sneaky trojan last week. will ping you tomorrow or so.
(#8)
Old

Default 21-02-2009, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennye4evo View Post
Some great pics there melio, ive uploaded mine a bit small but im not doing them again! Wasn't such a bad day considering my car being held together with 2pence pieces! Youre welcome anytime, hopefully next time we wont be restricted by the most unreliable car on earth!
Hahaha cheers hun I've got to say I was supremely impressed with mk2golfkid's mechanical abilities! I think we'd still be stuck somewhere on the road between Anzio and High Peak had it not been for his genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
The locked buildings even had the keys still in the guardhouse, we just unlocked the doors and walked in lol.

The key to the hospital building should still be above the door frame where we left it
We did find keys scattered all over the place haha unfortunately the site had been done-in to such an extent that every door and window was open. It has been well and truly pikey-fied
(#9)
Old
" get oif mioy laand"

Default 22-02-2009, 10:58

could the "anzio " name of not come from the anzio landings during ww2 yanks got abit of a duffing could it be to commerate some who may of those who transited through there ?

"all for one and phuq the rest "!

"paddle faster i hear banjos"
(#10)
Old

Default 22-02-2009, 19:44

The site was originally an American staging post where they were held before being sent to their new camps in the country. Just had a number then I think. After the war it was christened Anzio by the British Army who took it on, but for several years after the war it was a Polish refugee camp, which is what a lot of the older buildings are. Church, shop etc. Lots of the polish families are still in the area, mostly Buxton and Biddulph. Then became a Brit training camp for a battallion (400 men) but was shut down about 200 (I think) and sold to this hospital trust that is obviously trying to let it go derelict so they can get the planning permission they want.

The soldiers desperately want it back as its a damn good camp. Seems the little shits off the council estate in Leek have done it over.
Closed Thread