NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page Horwich Loco works april 2012
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Horwich Loco works april 2012
(#1)
Old

Default Horwich Loco works april 2012 - 19-04-2012, 18:28

Posted in the bin due to the appalling photography, thought it might be of interest though....

Don't often get the chance to get out urbexing anymore but one of the perks of the job is getting into some cool locations.

only had the go pro on me and didn't really have time to be mooching about taking pics so this is all there is.

The Loco works is in Horwich located off chorley new road. The site is the former location of the huge steam locomotive manufacture and overhaul plant for the lancashire and yorkshire railway, built in 1886 the buildings that remain are full of the original victorian features and are now home to various local businesses.

The remaining original buildings are in a sorry state now unfortunately with roofs and gutters letting the elements pour in through them causing rot to the floors, the holes in the wooden floors are testament to this.

The site closed it's doors to locomotives in may 1964 but then continued it's use as a workshop for rolling stock up until 1983 after this date the workforce was reduced from 1400 down to 300 until it closed it's doors to rail permanently in 1989.

The future of the loco works is currently up in the air with rumours of demolition and the building of houses whilst the local heritage society are trying to preserve it.

It is or more appropriately was quite a place employing alot of the horwich people, everyone in horwich knows someone that used to work there and it's closure had a massive impact on the local community.

The shed we were in was one of the 463m sheds, the epic scale of these buildings had to be seen to be appreciated, it would have been incredible to see it in its heyday full of steam engines and its workforce in full swing.

Anyway here are the pics, unfortunately they don't do it the justice it deserves.

(#2)
Old
Fromt posh part of Bolton

Default 19-04-2012, 18:36

Shame, this should be preserved just like horwich station should of been! We will have no heritage left in this country soon.

It's Dark and Hell is Hot........
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 19-04-2012, 19:24

good stuff ive moved it out the bin i think its good enough to be posted on the forum its new ....and im in the process of buying a go pro so for that reason aswell i like it lol.

unless you really want it in the bin mate ill move it back for you

Last edited by georgie; 19-04-2012 at 19:26.
(#4)
Old

Default 19-04-2012, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Shame, this should be preserved just like horwich station should of been! We will have no heritage left in this country soon.
They'll try and tear down anything to make way for housing estates, although they're of historic importance they aren't listed so other than the asbestos contamination in the ground they have little protection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie View Post
good stuff ive moved it out the bin i think its good enough to be posted on the forum its new ....and im in the process of buying a go pro so for that reason aswell i like it lol.

unless you really want it in the bin mate ill move it back for you
where ever you think's best. The gopro's great for pics outside and for video, not so good inside for low light, and with greasy marks over the case!
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 19-04-2012, 21:41

I dont think its worth putting in the bin mate its good

Ill be getting a hero2 i do like the quality of the gopro
(#6)
Old
Just say NO

Default 20-04-2012, 15:15

Agreed, photos are great.

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010
(#7)
Old
Donuts-я-Us

Default 20-04-2012, 21:35

the fourth pic looking down the shed is a cracker, loving the old photos too
(#8)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Default 20-04-2012, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie View Post
its new
http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4...hlight=horwich

photos here too
(#9)
Old

Default 20-04-2012, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthMancBeds View Post
I even posted in that one but couldn't remember it, nice report

they still make the motorway barriers in that shed too.
(#10)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Default 21-04-2012, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
I even posted in that one but couldn't remember it, nice report

they still make the motorway barriers in that shed too.
It's such a shame that they are trying to get rid. It's a very powerful piece of the landscape, I believe. The view of it from the M61 really gives some idea of the scale and there simply can't be many engine sheds like this that have not been demolished or manicured beyond belief (not that I am a rail expert). Good to see pictures from here again and stir it in the memories.

photos here too