View Single Post
ROF Chorley, July 2009
(#1)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Arrow ROF Chorley, July 2009 - 05-08-2009, 15:38

Following my earlier visit, here, I went again to ROF Chorley to have a look at the scant remains. There is not much left and what is there now has been modified, usually with some UPVC windows and dodgy speculative internal fit-out.

There is one block that has not had the casements replaced and houses a firm that manufactures kitchens, they were kind enough to let me have a look around and take a few photos.

As I mentioned in my first report, this place holds a lot of nostalgic mystery for me and may not be quite so enthralling for others... (though obviously AndyM has a vested interest insofar as he lives there!)

Exterior

Interior with cutting machines, you can see how the continuous band of clerestory glazing allows light deeper into the space.

Clerestory glazing and truss

Trusses, the paint is as it was when the firm moved in shortly after the ROF was decommissioned.

The heater unit is from the steam heating which ran across the site. The light unit was one of only a few remaining, the kitchen firm had removed and skipped 'hundreds'!

Original signage

Small substation behind the block

Supply switch on substation

One of the gas lamps which at one time illuminated the entire site

Another two storey pillbox defending the railway line. (Kitty, I await the names/numbers...)

Front elevation

View through from chamber to chamber. This was much as the other one on site, but without access to the lower level and the gap between upper chambers was in the centre, rather than off to one side.

peace
NMB

photos here too