NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Military Sites
Reload this Page Little Ship Of Dunkirk
Military Sites Bunkers, Pillboxes, Forts, Airfields and all ROC & cold war related stuff goes here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Little Ship Of Dunkirk
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Default Little Ship Of Dunkirk - 22-09-2009, 22:05

Over the past week I've been privileged to be involved in the transport of one of the hero's of ww2.
Left to rot in the mud on the banks of the river Medway in Kent, Alusia has been given a lifeline by an enthusiast who is determined to bring her back to life .
After loading her in Kent I took her to Liverpool Marina were she was transhipped onto a 45' flat trl which she will stay on for the duration of her makeover up in Duns, Berwickshire.
Here's a bit of histiry.
The nineteen thirties were a time when the well-to-do English middle classes developed elegant leisure pursuits. Mrs. Louisa Alexander had a most comfortable 45-foot motor yacht built and named after her by Rampart Boat Builders, in Southampton in 1938.

Alusia only enjoyed a single season fulfilling the role for which she was built: cruising in French waters as an ideal pleasure boat. Soon after the outbreak of war she was called up for more serious duties as a patrol boat (some members of the Royal Navy must have blessed the day!). Then, at the end of May 1940, under the command of Gunner A.J. Northcott RN, with a civilian crew, she assisted in the evacuation of Dunkirk.

After the war her original owners, the Alexander family, bought her back from the Admiralty.
On her way

Few interior shots

On the 45' flat

If anyone is up in the Berwick area the owner would be more than willing to show anyone round the boat (PM me for details), he's hoping to have it ready for the 70th anniversary celerbrations next year.
He's also bought another Dunkirk veteran boat named Anne witch I will be delivrering next week.
http://www.adls.org.uk/t1/node/545