NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page Dalton Mills, Keighley
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dalton Mills, Keighley
(#1)
Old

Default Dalton Mills, Keighley - 18-10-2011, 11:15

Dalton Mills, Keighley, West Yorkshire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

First off, this old mill in Keighley (prounounced keef-lee for any Americans) was suggested by a friend. I went there and found an unlocked door and went in. The UK folks I'm sure have been there and done this place for the most part, but it's the only explore I've had in the UK so far.

Well, I no sooner set up my camera than I was found by the watchman! His name is Jack and he was a 30 year employee at the mill before it shut down. He was actually quite accepting of my presence since I was only taking pictures. He went and locked the door which apparently was not meant to be unlocked, and said I could leave by the front door which he would leave open.

Later he brought up the site manager (Linda, of Magna Holdings) to see me and they showed me an old workshop -- which I'd been told of online -- and it turns out it's the very workshop where Jack worked!

Linda served me tea afterwards and I have to say they were wonderful gracious people.

If you are thinking about photographing this old mill before it is renovated, you can simply go to the Dalton Mills office and ask permission. There is no need to sneak in, and there is never any need to break in anywhere -- need I remind my explorer friends?

I know for some of you, the thrill of sneaking in is the point; but really there is no need here as they are quite accommodating. If you find yourself in Keighley this is worth seeing even though there isn't a lot of the old machinery inside -- which is sad since I really like to see the old works.

Next photo: "The Blue Room" which is where Jack came up the stairs and caught me.

Blue Room: Dalton Mills, Keighley, West Yorkshire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Jack in His Workshop: Dalton Mills, Keighley, West Yorkshire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Jack's Workshop: Dalton Mills, Keighley, West Yorkshire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Jack's Workshop: Dalton Mills, Keighley, West Yorkshire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Orange Level: Dalton Mills, Keighley, West Yorkshire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Yellow Stairway: Dalton Mills, Keighley, West Yorkshire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Fern Shaft and Nook: Dalton Mills, Keighley, West Yorkshire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Pink and Green: Dalton Mills, Keighley, West Yorkshire by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

It was quite disappointing I have to say that I wasn't able to meet any of you or do an explore together. I had such hopes but the few of you that did offer ended up not being able to. I do say thanks to those of you who sent me some information and map references. Ironically, the Dalton Mills info was sent to me by a fellow Yank, lol.

Cheers!

John Griggs, Kennett Square, USA
Entropic Remnants Photography

Last edited by Colonial_John; 18-10-2011 at 11:38.