NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Burtonwood
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Burtonwood
(#1)
Old

Default Burtonwood - 02-11-2012, 21:31

I used to live in Penketh, in the mid 1980's I went to a few do's at USAF Burtonwood ( Glen Millar bands and all) I remember getting a bit of a tour sometime later and seeing a sign in one of the sheds stating Max 20 Tons. Also different coloured concrete on the floor.( Lift ?) Not been past Burtonwood services on the M62 for a while ( normally go over the bridge these days) but you could always see at least half a dozen vents that had huge concrete weights plonked on them. I used to walk around the fields with my English Setters too.
There were loads of rumours about nukes being stored there , ive spoken to people who said they saw rad signs, anyway had its own railway siding off the Liverpool Manchester line. Also doc's exist in the public domain about proposals to expand it during the cold war when the septics were throwing dollars here there and everywhere.

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/b/burtonwood.htm

despite all this no pics exist. But I live in hope.

Gideon
(#2)
Old

Default 04-11-2012, 00:25

I work for the local Electricity Board in t hat area and had many visits to the RAF side (opposite to the Header House side) wjen visiting the main substaion....I am so gutted that I never took pics of the redundant site during those times but when the substation was decomissioned we had to have daily guiger counter checks on our feet and the wheels of the vehicles, due to the substation being near to what was the aircraft instrument dump, and i believe the Luminous markings in those instruments were fractionally radioactive.....I also did a lot of work in that area while the Header House side was being demolished and the new electricity network being installed for the "development" that is there today. and never saw any clues of any big underground spaces/buildings etc etc....Thats not to say they never existed......Its been a big local rumour for decades, even so far to saying that there was a hospital underground etc etc...
(#3)
Old
Just say NO

Default 04-11-2012, 11:27

Welcome aboard chaps, thanks for posting.

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010
(#4)
Old

Default 07-11-2012, 05:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GideonB View Post
I
There were loads of rumours about nukes being stored there ,
All good and well except they are rumours. There is ofifcial documentation in the public domain about storage of 'nukes' in so many other places that render rumours of Burtonwood nuke storage totally and absolutely defunct.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will piss on your computer!
(#5)
Old
Just say NO

Default 07-11-2012, 11:38

A few years ago there were rumours of loads of jeeps still being down there in underground bunkers, it sparked a lively debate on 28DL.

It's possible that there may be some radiation from luminous paint used on the cockpit dials.

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010
Burtonwood
(#6)
Old

Default Burtonwood - 29-11-2012, 17:21

I went in the American airbase many years ago when the airbase was still in full use.
There were photos hanging on the walls of the underground storage, armoured vehicles and equipment everywhere.
It was supposed to have the largest underground storage going, ready for attacks on other countries. The M62 could have been used as a runway if needed. there was one bridge which has now gone that was on rollers so that it could have been rolled back.

The storage cannot have all been filled in!

Last edited by ooff!; 29-11-2012 at 23:18.
(#7)
Old
is a 'member'

Default 30-11-2012, 16:56

I worked in the Airbase for a year, up until it was closed and demolished 8-9 years ago for the huge Housing estate that now stands their.

I saw the 20 tonne max limit signs, along with the different coloured concrete on the floor, it was about 10m x10m square.

The whole of BAD 2, which is the part I worked in, was seperated by brick walls, at a guess there were at least 16 seperte enclosures within the 1 warehouse, and they were big. You could access the other enclosures by sliding doors.

One enclosure was interesting though. If you stood in the doorway, and looked at the 2 enclosures either side of the door, you could see that one was much shorter than the other, but if you went to the other side and did the same they were the same. So in between the 2 enclosures was a void, completely sealed off. I would imagine it was about 20m across and about 10 meters deep.

Also in one of the enclosures was a small brick building, about the size of a large garden shed, with a vault door on it, complete with a combination lock like a bank. That was pretty cool to mess about with. I never guessed the combination though.

And finally, in the last few weeks before the site was closed before demolition was started, we had to evactuate the entire building, whilst some Americans went in, very secretly.

Personally I think there is underground storage there, maybe not nukes, but I would like to imagine a lot of machinery and vehicles.

"Try again.......Fail again.......Fail Better!".............Samual Beckett.....
(#8)
Old

Default 30-11-2012, 21:43

I remember the clsoure of the American side as we know it, and roads were closed all around the base for a time, I presumed it was while they moved something "special" . Speaking to locals over the years there is a common thread of the M62 being used as a runway in "situations" but I have never heard of the roller bridge. In the late eighties, working and driving past the base there were row after row of Jeeps/Ambulances parked outside for all to see.....
What are the chances of this myth/local legend ever be proven, Im guessing with it being American the freedom of infromation act is about as useful as a handbrake on a canoe.......
(#9)
Old

Default 02-12-2012, 01:04

I used to work in burtonwood a few years back, heard many a tale about the base but never saw any solid photos.
(#10)
Old

Default 02-12-2012, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom83 View Post

One enclosure was interesting though. If you stood in the doorway, and looked at the 2 enclosures either side of the door, you could see that one was much shorter than the other, but if you went to the other side and did the same they were the same. So in between the 2 enclosures was a void, completely sealed off. I would imagine it was about 20m across and about 10 meters deep.

Also in one of the enclosures was a small brick building, about the size of a large garden shed, with a vault door on it, complete with a combination lock like a bank. That was pretty cool to mess about with. I never guessed the combination though.

And finally, in the last few weeks before the site was closed before demolition was started, we had to evactuate the entire building, whilst some Americans went in, very secretly.

Personally I think there is underground storage there, maybe not nukes, but I would like to imagine a lot of machinery and vehicles.
No significant underground storage...just the usual rumours from people in the area (ALL airfields have tunnels and underground storage according to 'rumours')
Locked vaults are common on military sites in all countries. Apart from the normal requirements for secure storage the American bases also kept their autodin equipment in locked vaults.

My photos from the 1980's suggested that the M62 was unlikely to be used as a runway. Big height difference between it and the older concrete AFAIR