NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Military Sites
Reload this Page ROF Chorley, July 2009
Military Sites Bunkers, Pillboxes, Forts, Airfields and all ROC & cold war related stuff goes here.

ROF Chorley, July 2009
(#1)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Arrow ROF Chorley, July 2009 - 05-08-2009, 15:38

Following my earlier visit, here, I went again to ROF Chorley to have a look at the scant remains. There is not much left and what is there now has been modified, usually with some UPVC windows and dodgy speculative internal fit-out.

There is one block that has not had the casements replaced and houses a firm that manufactures kitchens, they were kind enough to let me have a look around and take a few photos.

As I mentioned in my first report, this place holds a lot of nostalgic mystery for me and may not be quite so enthralling for others... (though obviously AndyM has a vested interest insofar as he lives there!)

Exterior

Interior with cutting machines, you can see how the continuous band of clerestory glazing allows light deeper into the space.

Clerestory glazing and truss

Trusses, the paint is as it was when the firm moved in shortly after the ROF was decommissioned.

The heater unit is from the steam heating which ran across the site. The light unit was one of only a few remaining, the kitchen firm had removed and skipped 'hundreds'!

Original signage

Small substation behind the block

Supply switch on substation

One of the gas lamps which at one time illuminated the entire site

Another two storey pillbox defending the railway line. (Kitty, I await the names/numbers...)

Front elevation

View through from chamber to chamber. This was much as the other one on site, but without access to the lower level and the gap between upper chambers was in the centre, rather than off to one side.

peace
NMB

photos here too
(#2)
Old

Default 05-08-2009, 15:42

Well done mate, looks like a nice place.
(#3)
Old
Administrator

Default 05-08-2009, 21:01

Good stuff, you could explore the shell of the old ROF power station until this time last year as well as some of the older buildings, but the north east of the site is completely clear now. The remaining ROF land is still fenced off, and as far as I can see subject to regular security patrols as well, for some reason, which is puzzling as there appear to be nothing there but rubble.

A few years back, I went to night school at Runshaw College which is in one of the big buildings on Euxton Lane. There's a MASSIVE walk in safe down in the basement with a huge steel door, I often wondered what secrets it used to contain during the war......
(#4)
Old
NITEWALKER

Default 26-07-2010, 19:16

Great pics, shame most of the buildings have been demolished, planned to adventure in to have a closer look at the sites but.. the demolishion had started b4 i could:(