NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: West mine-Alderley edge-29/11
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: West mine-Alderley edge-29/11
(#1)
Old
Romanian1

Arrow ARCHIVE: West mine-Alderley edge-29/11 - 29-11-2008, 21:45

Firstly let me start off by saying, access to west mine and all the other mines at the edge is strictly controlled by derbyshire caving club and all visits should be arrange through them.

Secondly, big thanks to the aforementioned DCC, morrisey for sorting the thing out and bconfined for pointing out all the interesting bits.

Now with some spiel, as usual shamelessly C&P'd from the DCC site:

The West Mine is by far the biggest mine on Alderley Edge, the main workings being carried out at the same time as those at Wood Mine, 1857 - 1877, by the Alderley Edge Mining Company. It is probable that this area was mined previous to these dates as possible evidence of fire setting was found whilst excavating the opencast during 1858.

During the main working period from 1857 to 1877, West Mine was probably known as the Western Mine and was worked in two sections divided by a fault or Great Slide. Ore was extracted by a railway hauled from the surface using a rope. Ventilation was achieved by the use of two air shafts at the middle and far end of the mine.

(#2)
Old
Administrator

Default 29-11-2008, 23:18

A good day was had by all!!

These stopes are everywhere with drops of 50 ft, thankfully this one is well marked.

1940's graff

Sample copper vein

Egregious!

Last edited by Morrisey; 29-11-2008 at 23:22.
Closed Thread