NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE - Beckermet Mine drainage adit 171009
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE - Beckermet Mine drainage adit 171009
(#1)
Old
UE Addict

Default ARCHIVE - Beckermet Mine drainage adit 171009 - 18-10-2009, 17:53

Early morning start, lots of dew scattered over the fields and along the river bank!
It was cold (bloody freezing) and dark (but getting lighter) as we walked a 1/4 mile from the church to the adit entrance.

The Beckermet Mining Co. Ltd. was formed in 1903 after preliminary surface drilling had shown some hematite ore. No. 1 shaft was sunk to 1,164 ft. after the formation of the company and production started in 1906. This vertical shaft was deepened to its present level of 1,374 ft. between 1912 and 1915. Sinking on No. 2 shaft, also vertical, was commenced in 1916, and after bottoming at a depth of 1,247 ft. production was obtained through it in 1918.

The date 1918 can be made out above

The Undertaker striking a very shivery pose

Access was a bit of a squeeze for a big fella like me

Looking back the way we went in, beneath my feet is the sump that controls the water flow out of the adit into Kirk Beck

Fantastic arched construction with corrigated sheets above the iron work

Another tight squeeze through the red clay that almost seems to have been placed here on purpose (maybe to deter explorers)

My favourite shot of the trip..... This is the Beckermet No1 shaft at a point 106' below the surface, The water that was teeming down from the surface was absolutely immence!

looking through the torrent of water to see the pipes and cables that run nigh on 1400' to the bottom of the shaft

(#2)
Old
UE Addict

Default 18-10-2009, 18:27

Another tight squeeze through the red clay that almost seems to have been placed here on purpose (maybe to deter explorers

SHOULD HAVE BEEN
Closed Thread