Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Irish Pillboxes - Aug 2009
Rest of the World Sites outside the UK.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Irish Pillboxes - Aug 2009
(#1)
Old
Professional curmudgeon

Arrow ARCHIVE: Irish Pillboxes - Aug 2009 - 14-10-2009, 17:42

During my adventures in Ireland I happened upon a few pillboxes which were duly (rather hurriedly) photographed as I thought that the wartime afficionados on NWEX might like to see them. I know little about the various types, indeed the ones near Limerick may not be WWII at all, and would welcome any comments/extra information about them.

The first two images are a pillbox adjacent to Corbally Weir on the Shannon above Limerick. This is close to the Ardnacrusha hydroelectric power station that once provided 87% of Ireland's electricity.

Next one is a little lower down at the salmon weir.

Now we move into Northern Ireland and this pillbox situated adjacent to the Portna locks on the River Bann above Coleraine. This had its original metal door and a little outside yard protected by concrete walls. I haven't seen this sort of layout before. Inside some of the steel shutters and remains of the wooden mounts for weapons could still be seen.

(#2)
Old
Professional curmudgeon

Default 15-10-2009, 11:02

I managed to find a bit more information about some of the pillboxes in the Irish Republic. It appears that some were constructed to defend against a possible invasion by the British during the 'Emergency' (WWII). The very low res scans below are lifted from a book which covered the defence line along the River Boyne, fairly close to the border with Northern Ireland.

Some interesting discussion and links here:

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...hp/t-9447.html

Closed Thread